I made these Chalk Painted Corner Molding Frames from some scrap lumber mom had at her house. I roped Chris into helping me make them for a charity auction for my friend Elisabeth and her family. This story explains why the lack of planning on my part always, and I mean always, constitutes an emergency on my husband’s part. The weekend slipped by and we found ourselves the night before the auction starting our project at midnight after the stores were closed:( So we had to work with what we had. Not much. Corner molding and Chalk Paint. I used Traverse City Cherry by Cece Caldwell. Made in the south in the great old US of A. Merica’!
I asked for a miter saw for Christmas but had the common sense not to use it. What I really wanted was for my husband to use it but for me to micro-manage. Great minds and oldest children think alike. He was thinking the same thing. That I would do the work and he could micro-manage. This arrangement often works out well…for me. It is also why most of our home projects take twice as long. In the end, they turn out well because he keeps me from getting sidetracked and I keep him from getting sidetracked. We are a match made in heaven. Sighs. Back to the project. I took home this corner molding from my Mom’s house with this idea in mind. I bought this for my Dad for Father’s Day.
Let’s just say…there is a learning curve here:( It LOOKED really simple and in the end, it was. It just took my desperation for sleep to spark my creativity;) After hours of bickering and over thinking my husband and I decided to “slap it together”. Okay, I decided to “slap it together.” My anal retentive husband has never slapped anything together in his LIFE. He comes from a long line of perfectionists. The title of my blog is “My Mom’s Junk.” I digress. I felt invigorated. It was like being in an episode of MacGyver. “I have chalk paint, gorilla glue, corner molding, and some string. We need to get some picture frames out of this by morning for the charity auction!” My husband gave up and went to bed when I started talking to myself.
Since we didn’t have anything to hold the corners together, I improvised. I stapled the corners together and then put gorilla glue and shims in the corner of each frame. The corner pieces were from the scraps of the cuts we made! After the glue dried, I sanded it down and painted it. I was really proud. They turned out beautiful.When he woke up in the morning I was victorious. Actually, I was weepy. I had the FRAME done but nothing in it. I went to Wal-Mart and improvised…again. I took my frames half done to where the auction would be held and worked on them up until the auction started.
I bought inexpensive jute, scrapbook paper, and some small clothespins. My daughter Tiana helped me make the decorative touches before the auction. My Chalk Painted Corner Molding Frames pulled in a whopping $10-20 dollars apiece. Because three of my friends bought them. I think there is a saying “It’s the thought that counts.” In all seriousness, the auction for a widow of a veteran and her seven children was a huge success. I have never seen such a huge turnout for an individual family before. It was PACKED! I was happy with the result of our efforts and plan on doing these again. Much to DH’s chagrin…