This is the photo that started it. I recently picked up May’s issue of Southern Living Magazine and it really, really hit home. I miss living in the South. There isn’t a part of this country that I don’t love more. We lived in Jacksonville, FL for 5 years until we
were forced decided to come back “home” to Oklahoma. As our family was getting bigger, we wanted to move closer to home to be closer to family. Which I love. It just would be nicer if they lived in Florida. Just sayin’. Don’t get me wrong the Midwest has its charm too! We have Pioneer Woman, Toby Keith, Reba, Vince Gill, and Will Rogers. Recently though, it just hasn’t been cuttin’ the mustard. I miss southern gardens…Magnolias, Camilla’s, Hibiscus, Crepe Myrtles, Gardenias, and don’t forget Daffodils. Sago Palms and Palm trees make my heart go pitter-patter y’all;) So here is my top ten things I miss the most:
1. Southerners. That drawl and hearing “Yes, Mam.” Manners are still a big deal there.
2. Southern food. Fried Chicken. Need I say more.
3. Sweet Tea and Mint Julips
4. Live Oaks and Spanish Moss. Oh…and the Plantations. If you haven’t toured one yet. Please do.
5. The Gardens. My puny Crepe Myrtles mock me. It’s so cruel:(
6. Coastal Style. There is a laid back, casual vibe that screams: “Sit down. We don’t mind your soggy swimsuit or the sand!”
7. “Southern Prep” and people who get decked out for football games. Southern Women dress up for anything.
9. The Family Portrait. Of painted varieties;)
So, that being said, I am looking around my home and trying to think of a way to bring the South to Oklahoma.
I am thinking about something like this…
and most definitely this…
My grey walls and pickled oak cabinets have GOT to go. Seriously…what were people in the 90’s thinking?