Welcome to a new kind of food blogging. We’re kickin’ it old school. It’s hard to believe, but there was a time before the internet, iPhones, and step-by-step cooking. In the Midwest and the Southern regions of the United States, family, club, and church cookbooks are a treasure. They were passed down from generation to generation. The women that contributed to them weren’t professional chefs or food bloggers. They were Moms. Just like you and me.
They cooked great meals with smaller houses, smaller kitchens, smaller stoves and even smaller budgets than you or I ever thought possible. They did it while walking 10 miles in the snow and uphill both ways! It’s hard to imagine that a mythical creature like that ever existed, but we have the pictures of Granny and Mama to prove it. They were once young and skinny. So trust me, they don’t mind you posting their pictures. I think we threw the baby out with the bath water in the late 90’s. Yes, there will always be a place for professional cookbooks and websites. But there is a place half-way between those old-school cookbooks we all love and Food Network. That place is here, at My Mom’s Junk. It’s like an online family cookbook. The best part is that by sharing your family photos and recipes they won’t ever be lost. I recently found out that my Grandmother’s recipe box is missing, so my cousins and I started sharing pictures and recipes. I couldn’t believe some of the photos!
So here are the rules:
- Your “Featured Image” on your Thumbnail has to be a Vintage Photo. Not FOOD or anything else. I think we all know what a casserole looks like. Please. Just. Don’t. ***Vintage means 20 years old or more. Sadly, for some of us that means Senior Portraits from the 80’s. If you have the balls to do that. I salute you.***
- This can be as easy or as hard as you want. You can link to old posts OR you can send us something new. For example: If you already have a family recipe on your blog. Update it with an old photo. No need to reinvent the wheel.
- Grab our party button or link back with a text link.
- Visit & comment on at least 2 other links in the party! Sharing is caring!!!
- You can’t link recipes you’ve linked before BUT you can post as many photos and recipes as you want. Also, don’t let the fact you see other people have the same recipe posted intimidate you. I don’t care. It’s about memories. Post your photo and be proud.
- This party starts every Thursday @ 12am CST.
- By entering a link, you’re giving me permission to feature your images on my blog. Proper credit & links will always be given. Please feel free to contact me with any questions and we’re currently looking for contributors!