New designs and a new post! I am excited to share My Mom's Junk new look with you in my latest post!!! It's been quiet on the blog but behind the scenes, it has been a whirlwind of activity. It seems like if I'm blogging about something, I don't have time to get the project done. For my sanity, that's just not an option anymore. That being said, I'm working around the clock to prepare for my ... Read More about My Mom’s Junk New Look!
Notice: Undefined index: float_location_post in /home/mymomsju/public_html/wp-content/plugins/social-warfare/functions/frontend-output/buttons-standard.php on line 139
They say “necessity is the mother of invention.” In this case, that is most definitely true. We spent the afternoon at my Dad’s farm. It was an amazing, wonderful day and my kids will have those memories forever. It was way too short (like most amazing, wonderful days are) and dinner crept up on me! I was planning on making King Ranch Chicken Casserole. If you haven’t heard of King Ranch Chicken, all you need to know is it is one of the most requested recipes in Southern Living’s history. I went to grab the ingredients out of the fridge and I was missing a few things. A few things…as in the vegetables. So I improvised, by using Schwan’s Southwest Roasted Corn. It is fire roasted yellow and white super sweet corn combined with red and green peppers, onions and black beans in a southwest style seasoning. You could also use Bird’s Eye C&W The Ultimate Southwest vegetable blend, 14oz (you can find it at Wal-Mart). It’s delish and takes this recipe, that has been a family favorite for years, to a whole new level. My 15-year-old daughter just told me: “This is the best food I’ve ever put in my mouth!” It’s amazing!
- 1¾ cups Schwan's Southwest Roasted Corn OR 1¾ Cup Birds Eye C&W The Ultimate Southwest Blend Vegetable Mix,14 oz
- 2 cups chicken (I use Harvestland Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast thin sliced. It doesn't have antibiotics and all of the bad stuff. There is 4-5 per package. I diced it and used all of them.)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 (10¾) ounce cream of chicken, undiluted
- 1 (10¾) ounce cream of mushroom, undiluted
- 1 (10oz) can Rotel
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 16 corn tortillas cut or torn into one inch pieces. I just cut mine into 1" strips with a knife.
- 2 cups shredder cheddar cheese, divided
- Put 1 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp butter in pan (I used a large (12") cast iron skillet.)
- Put chicken in pan and then add ½ bag of Schwan's Southwest Roasted Corn.
- Cook for 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- Put in the next seven ingredients and stir until combined.
- Tear or cut tortillas into one inch pieces.
- Place ½ tortilla pieces into the bottom of a well greased 13 X 9 inch casserole dish.
- Top with ½ of the chicken mixture and ½ of the cheddar cheese.
- Repeat layer once.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.